The Jug and Glass Inn is probably the longest continuously occupied public house in the parish of Hartington Nether Quarter.
Hartington within the White Peak sits on limestone rock which is actually the fossilized remains of creatures and plants that lived in a warm shallow sea which covered the area in the Carboniferous period some 350 million years ago. Limestone hewn from the district forms the fabric of the Inn and the earliest part of the building is finished in white render with additions in pure Derbyshire limestone from the once a week quarry a small business hidden in woods a few miles to the North East.
In 1768 the road alongside the Inn was described as gravel and exceedingly hard very mountainous and disagreeable. The road was turnpiked in 1770 but the Jug existed earlier to serve packhorses and their riders bringing copper from Ecton mine. The nearby green lane across the north field provided trade from drovers heading to markets and the nearest map feature is a moneystone thought to be a hollowed out stone, perhaps a millstone, through which hands were shaken and contracts sealed. Routes along high ground in this area over the Pennine hills have existed since Neolithic times evidenced by Arbour Low henge and later a Roman road was built a short distance to the east which shows a visible line towards Buxton to this day. The earliest known licensee in 1753 was John Webster of Heathcote, the nearest hamlet. John Wood in 1770 was followed by Hannah Wood in 1783. William Featherstone was the landlord in 1813 and his successor Daniel Petts held a tenancy from 1822 to 1828. Another Featherstone, Frances, was at the helm in 1860 and his son James took over in 1871.
The great days of the Coaching Inn were over by 1881 and a census showed that Innkeeping was combined with another trade and, at the Jug and Glass, the landlord was also a land merchant.
The advent of the railway age in the 19th century saw the construction of lines half a mile to the West (Tissington trail) and half a mile to the East (High Peak trail) linked by the drovers green lane. Labour used in these projects undoubtedly helped ale trade but one unfortunate incident from those times is recorded below:
On Monday the 3rd instant, an inquisition was held before Mr. Thomas Mander. Coroner for the Hundred of the High, Peak on view of the body of James McOwn (an Irishman) who had been employed in the formation of the Cromford and High Peak Rail Road. After an investigation of five hours, it appeared that on Saturday last, about six in the evening, the deceased was at the house of Mr Daniel Pett, known as the sign of the Jug and Glass, at Hartington Nether Quarter, with several persons that whilst there he was drinking ale until he became intoxicated, and then engaged in a fight with Joseph Heathcote, a labourer that in the fight the deceased received no injury of sufficient consequence to produce his death, but that the same was occasioned by a fit of apoplexy with which the deceased was seized some time in the evening of the 3rd instant and the jury returned their verdict. Died from a fit of apoplexy by the visitation of God.
The 20th century saw Thomas Rowarth and his sons hold the property for 60 years and the most famous overnight guest one snowy winter night was none other than Rod Stewart and friends. The Easom family of The Cavalier Inn at Grindon purchased the property in 1996 and a new phase began following development by Andrew and Yvonne.
A warm welcome has sustained the Inn over the centuries and visitors can expect good old fashioned service today and probably for another three hundred years.
- Self Catering
- Safe & Secure Payment
- Free Parking
- Parking Facilities
- Family Rooms
- Internet Services
- Walking Holidays
- Country Retreat